Wednesday, September 30, 2009

August 20th (ADDITIONS MADE 9/30)

Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.-1 Corinthians 6:19-20

I chose to do this verse today instead because i felt drawn to it. I have a personal connection to it, and i want to share my thoughts. I know this verse is primarily used to describe God's feelings on sexual immorality, but I think/feel it can be applied to numerous other problems people are struggling with.Whether it is drug abuse, cutting, eating disorders or any other self harm methods, you are abusing His work of art, 'you are not your own'. You were given your life and body for a reason. Your body and life is a gift, and 'you were bought at a price', the price being Jesus.
As a recovering cutter that suffered from both anorexia and bulimia I thank God every day for the strength He gives me to persevere and keep recovering. I thank Him for showing me what my "no-nos" are. This verse reminds me to keep recovering, because it's what God wants me to do, and that is one way I can honor Him with my body. I can honor Him by stopping this madness, and taking care of His temple. I'm still a work in progress, but He is worth fighting for. He has faith in my ability to deal with these obstacles, and with that faith and the strength he constantly empowers me with, how can i lose? I will not allow myself to let a temple of The Holy Spirit fall, I declare war on myself.

EDIT:
I made this promise august 20th, to stop puking everytime i ate even a piece of lettuce or part of a cinnamon stick (yes, i would resort to chewing on cinnamon sticks...raw cinnamon sticks to curve my hunger) to stop cutting to punish myself, to stop the hatred of my body. it's been a rough rode, and i broke it about a month into it for the STUPIDEST reason ever, but that's okay. Because that's what is so amazing about God. He realizes we are human...we make mistakes, we falter in our ways, we occasionally stray from the path He has laid for us-- AND HE FORGIVES US! I haven't broken down since then, and I'm going stronger than ever. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment